Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Day, Oh Mr. Turkey Fat and Gray: Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble Gobble*

It ended like this:

So you know it had to be a good Thanksgiving! Eliza brought the party with her!

Also she has this thing about wanting to wear less and less clothing as the day goes by. Usually I pick her up from school and at least ONE thing is missing- tights, socks, hair bow. Always a surprise! Yay for an independent 3 year old!

Anyways, Thanksgiving was pretty chill here. I rearranged my room! Seems silly now that I look back to find a NEW project to start just because I'm not going to work, but there's something nice about refurbishing your environment!

Mom, Dad, Abby, and Uncle Don started off Thanksgiving day with a bang- the Turkey Trot. Running early in the Morn!


I did not join them. I stayed in my warm comfy bed!

We all signed up for different cooking assignments so that the task of Thanksgiving dinner or The FEAST as Eliza called it, didn't all fall on one person.

I did cranberry sauce. I did a regular version and a version where I added in citrus juice, fresh diced pears, and crystallized ginger. It was scrumptious! I also made sweet potatoes and a chocolate truffle pie. I was going to make the fresh collards that I inherited from work but we ran out of time. Who knew making collards took well over an hour?? We didn't! We're going to try to make them on Sunday.

But we had plenty of food otherwise!

Abby did fresh green beans, homemade bread, and apple pie. She's become quite the baker!!!

Mom made squash casserole, 2 types of stuffing (don't ask me what type, I don't do stuffing), the turkey with Dad, and over saw the over-all production!

Dad also did the mashed potatoes and did multiple runs to the grocery store for us!

Oma made a delish greek salad and homemade salad dressing- Yummy!

Uncle Don did the corn**
We also had our good family friend, Ron,(not Dad) join us for dinner too. He brought a cheerful tone to the dinner!

Dad made a toast and clinked our sparkling red grape juice filled glasses per tradition. Then Mom claimed that we had a tradition of going around the table and each naming a thing we were grateful for from the consecutive letters of the alphabet. Some of us did not recall EVER doing this tradition before, but it was fun and brought some creativity! Somehow I ended up with the letter Q and X...

Eliza barely ate any of the dinner. I think she might have taken one bite of turkey and otherwise only had homemade bread. She loves Abby's bread! Someday I hope she'll eat more than chicken nuggets, pizza, and Nutella sandwiches....

I peer pressured Mom and Abby into playing Princess Jr. Monopoly with Eliza and me after dinner. You get to buy castles! Mom shook her head disapprovingly when she got the Chance card to purchase Prince Charming. He was on sale for only $4! Not a bad bargain!Friday night was my favorite--- GAME NIGHT! We each picked a game- Guesstures, Disney Scene It, Taboo, Apples to Apples, Things, and Wii Resport! No matter what we played, I'm pretty sure I won every time. Yeah, that sounds about right! :D



Happy Gobble Day!

*Header comes from a Thanxgiving Joy School Song that we've ALL had stuck in our heads this last week!
**Corn story is a good one that you can ask someone else about.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great post. Thanks for the great photos,too. It's fun to think that Eliza will start remembering these fun things we do with her now.

Leigh This Way said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love the idea of playing a whole bunch of games afterwards. We always end up sleeping! ;)