Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Saga II: Thanksgiving Eve

Work was a blur today.

It was scheduled as just a half-day for services so the buses were taking people home at noon instead of 2pm.

I had planned on working a full day and thought that everyone else had planned that as well. However, by the time 1pm rolled around, only 3 of my co-workers remained in the building. Wow.

I still had to deliver Thanksgiving meals to two families so after unsuccessfully trying to get a hold of some DSS caseworkers and finding out that all the caseworkers were already on Thanksgiving break, I delivered meals in some ghetto areas of Columbia.

I saw a couple prostitutes on one corner off North Main St., and two guys getting arrested just two blocks away as well. The public housing that I made a delivery in actually looked pretty nice, though, compared to some of the other public housing I've done home visits at lately.

One of my clients gave me a $72 handbag today. She said she saw it and thought of me. Not sure what to do about that... I'm more of a Timbuk2 shoulder bag kinda gal. Not sure if I could pull off wearing a black, less-than-appropriately-gifted Nine West bag that I'm pretty sure was bought with drug money.

I went home after the deliveries and took a 3 hour nap. It was glorious.

Abby had watched Eliza in the morning because neither of them had school, and then Eliza's dad picked up Eliza after he got off work around 1pm. I get her back tomorrow around 3pm for Thanksgiving dinner!! Yay!

After my nap, I discovered that my Uncle Don had arrived for his Thanksgiving visit. I baked some sweet potatoes and mashed them up, cooked two batches of cranberry sauce, washed dishes, and baked a pie crust for the chocolate truffle pie I'm making. The kitchen already smells wonderful.

Question: Why do we use stupid clothes and make the task of laundrying the clothes never ending?
Answer: Because we all should wear daily disposable, biodegradable opaque plastics and stop this clothing charade. Yeah... Capitalists probably love the clothing industry.

So it's 2am, and I'm awake blogging. I don't think this bodes well for me waking up early to join Dad, Abby, and Mom on a Turkey Trot Race tomorrow morning. We'll see...

It's slumber time.

No comments: