Thursday, April 28, 2011

Caution: Gripe

I didn't want to post this rant on Facebook and start any sort of facebook war or discussion, but since most of you who read my blog are my close friends or family, I'll say it here:

I am FED UP with get charged high bills for pre-existing conditions. WHY oh WHY!?! Why do I have to pay hundreds of dollars to receive treatment for being sick? I am supposedly "fully insured." But then I get a $172 bill from Doctor's Care where I went to get a REFILL on two prescriptions.

No worries, though. I'll just pay the bill off quick with all the big money I'm making at my social work job that's on furlough because of the economy/lack of funding for abused and neglected children.

Also of note, my client's sister is dying of lung cancer. Stage 4 right now. But medicaid will only pay a certain amount of money per month for her care, so even though she's in terrible pain and unstable, the hospital sends her home to her four kids, age 5 to 10, without enough pain medicine to subsist in a perpetual state of semi-consciousness.

At least her situation makes me feel a little less sorry for myself...

I hear her story, and one word was all I could come up with: Inhumane.

I personally just hate that we have a health system that functions as a for-profit structure. Ugh.

Ok, I'm done! I promise. At least for now! haha.

The End.

3 comments:

Leigh This Way said...

OH I totally agree on the P.E.C When I had to go onto private insurance when I turned 21 and pay a montly 3 figure premium to an insurance company that wouldn't cover anything involving having to do with my migraines, I was soo ticked of. One of the main reason I got the insurance was because of my migraines and the medications I was on. I totally understand what you're going through and even as member of the imperfect health system, I firmly believe that insurance is a love/hate relationship.

Joan said...

Yes, and some people have the audacity to complain about health care reform. That's either because they don't have anything wrong with them (yet)so haven't had to deal with the system, or they are extremely privileged to still have insurance that covers everything. One of the big changes with health care reform (yes, "Obamacare") will be that they can't deny nor make you pay more because of pre-existing conditions.

K Cummings said...

I feel about health care system the way Jane Eyre does about hell.

What is hell/private insurance?
A pit of burning fire

And what must you do to avoid falling into that pit of burning fire?
I must stay in good health and not die

Too bad that's impossible. News flash: we're all going to die. It's amazing that we have a system dedicated to the belief that no "normal" "upright" human being would need medical attention.