Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Show Me Your Pearly Whites!

The look of SUCCESS:Yesterday Eliza persevered through her first "real" dentist appointment!
(We visited a dentist last July, but Eliza refused to really even open her mouth for more than a minute and so they definitely weren't able to do a cleaning to say the least.)
She was adorable and a VERY good sport! I did lots of prepping her- read books about Dora going to the dentist, showing her the dentist's website (which is really cute), and talking with her about what would happen when she went. I chose a pediatric only dentist since Eliza struggled last time, and I'm really glad I did. All of the workers were so sweet to her and actually talked TO and WITH Eliza, and they weren't busy at all!
And she had NO cavities! Hooray! I was having nightmares about her needing caps or something, I don't know. I feel like I've heard about or read about SEVERAL different kids whether through friends or work whose child's teeth are rotted or needing oral surgery, and I was thinking- what if we go in and all of Eliza's teeth are rotten!!! But thankfully my ban on sugary drinks, no drinks at bedtime, no bottle after age one, and daily teeth brushing has helped! Yay!

At one point, when the dental hygienist was leaning over Eliza, Eliza quietly said, "You're beautiful." The hygienist told Eliza that she had just made her day and told her that she could have TWO toys from the treasure box for that one! haha. I am glad to have a sweet girl, though!
Align Center

And of course, Eliza was sure to invite everyone in the office to her birthday party!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Eliza looks so adorable...and BIG! She has grown so much since I saw her last year. I'm glad her first dentist trip was such a success! Tell her thank you (thanks to you, too) for the card and the awesome unicorn shirt!

Joan said...

Great job Eliza! There are more than a few people afraid that have a hard time having a good experience at the dentist. Sounds like all the preparation paid off.

Barbara said...

Eliza does look very grown up! I am glad to hear someone had a good experience at the dentist. :)

Jennifer said...

Eliza has become so cooperative. You have really helped her be more comfortable in "stressful" situations.